Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Before the Olympics, there were politics

While I have nothing against Joe Biden and no great love for Hillary Clinton, I am having some difficulty with this big sell job about Joe being on the cutting edge of feminism.  I'm still not sure how to reconcile the guy who says his wife has a PhD and that's a "problem" with the guy who says (very briefly, I might add) that he's for equal pay for women.  I think that's great, but it would be nice if he elaborated.  If someone would take the time to explain the Violence Against Women Act, I would also appreciate that, although it seems like one of those things that is really a lot of moral common sense--women shouldn't be beaten and killed because of their gender--I'm happy Joe led the charge on it, but it seems like a no-brainer, rather than an act of heroism.  

But, mostly, I'm just irritated at both political parties for deciding to hold their conventions during the first two weeks of school in the WDC area; i.e., I'm going it alone as are many other people, mostly women, here, some for two weeks in a row.  So I found myself getting irritated with Biden's opening remark about Obama being raised by a single mother--couldn't the conventions have been scheduled for before the Olympics?  

No comments: