Friday, May 02, 2008

Let the sun shine

This was my theme for the day--it came on randomly while I was walking to work, and it seemed quirkily appropriate, although not what I would call poetry, but fun:

"walking proudly in our winter coats, 
wearing smells from laboratories, 
facing a dying nation of moving paper fantasy, 
listening for the new told lies . . . 

Somewhere inside some thing 
there is a rush of greatness, 
who knows what stands in front of 
our lives I fashion my future unfilms in space,  
silence tells me secretly everything--
Let the sunshine, let the sunshine in, the sun shine in"

I was feeling very 60s today.  You know, people in the metro heading toward Union Station can look pretty uptight.  I really wished I had a speaker.  It really is a song to get loose to.

I hit replay a few times, and then Carly Simon's "You're So Vain" comes on.  And I'm thinking that "Let the Sun Shine In" is definitely a song you could see Michelle and Barack rocking out to at one of their big rallies, but Hillary would sound awfully authentic belting out, "You're So Vain."  I could really see her: "you had one eye on the mirror as you watched yourself gavotte, and all the girls dreamed that they'd be your partner, they'd be your partner . . . they said that we made such a pretty pair and that you would never leave, but you gave away the things you loved and one of them was me."  I was trying to figure out who'd be her back-up singers.  Celinda Lake, whom I've met in passing, I can certainly see getting into this and getting the dance steps down.  Harold Wolfson, though, he'd be, like, constantly turning the wrong way and not really getting the falsetto pitch right.  

As for the Republicans . . . well, people who refused to protest in the 60s shouldn't start now.  They just let the Higher Education Act expire because extending it would require them to participate in unanimous consent votes, which they claim they're not going to do anymore until the Democrats do what they want with the Supplemental War Spending bill.  Ummm . . . the President is prepared to sign or has just signed some kind of bill that shores up the student loan industry so that America's kids can still afford (we hope) to go to college . . . Is John Boehner going to be the one to tell them that, technically, at this very moment, there IS NO federal capital for student lending?  Technically, at this very moment, there are no Pell Grants, no federal matching funds for colleges and universities, no loan subsidies for poor students, etc.  Hmmmm.  Let the sun shine.

No comments: