Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Do Not Freeze

My daughter's first grade class has been assigned to do writer's journals for the rest of the school year. The paper that came home with it was a spot-on description of what I've been doing all my life: not a diary, a place to note down thoughts, impressions, observations, descriptions. So I told my daughter that I'd been doing this all my life, and we talked about it, and I went to the box in my office where I keep every writing journal I've had since I was in high school. That was a lot of fun for her.

I flipped through one of my high school notebooks and saw a note about what I remembered some of my high school friends thought both funny and profound (hey, we were 16 or 17)--an instruction from the Hellman's mayonnaise jar: "Keep Cool But Do Not Freeze". It made me smile. That was one of our mottoes in high school. We thought we were sooooo clever.

No comments: