Tuesday, May 02, 2006

American Idiot

I have to say, during the whole episode with the fractured Buick, the dented computer (about which I have just discovered the hard drive is physically broken), the lost silver bracelet (did I mention that? this was all in one day)--I found great comfort in my iPod and the variety of music on it which is quite delightful to listen to when one is pissed off.

For example, there are old stand-bys like The Clash's "Should I Stay or Should I Go?", although I find that song kind of amusing. There's always a little Led Zeppelin. I had friends in high school who would listen to Kiss or AC/DC, although I never got into that. I have to admit though, that I do like "Beth" for its absolute campiness. There are also various Rolling Stones songs, "You Can't Always Get What You Want" for example, or "It's Only Rock and Roll"--that's the one with the lines about "a suicide right on the stage . . . would it be enough for your teenage lust" or something like that--and other lyrics about bleeding all over the stage, knives in the heart, etc. There are also the White Stripes, although they are somewhat too ironic for really good pissed off music. A little too arch. Not sincere enough about their anger.

However. I have found that the absolute best song ever to be pissed off to is Green Day's "Jesus of Suburbia." Actually, all of American Idiot is worth it just for the experience of revisiting your teenage alienation. Really, there's not much more we can do with the Bush Administration than redirect our adolescent anger at it. The Democratic leadership has no intention of letting us do that, though, and they just doesn't understand this critical issue and how important it is to us left-wing freaks. I don't think that Nancy Pelosi or Harry Reid would really 'get' the song "Jesus of Suburbia." I think it would mostly puzzle them. It is beyond them. They don't understand yelling. They are too old. I don't know if either one of them actually had an adolescent rebellion. That was what was so great about Bill Clinton--he did have an adolescent rebellion, and was still working on it with Monica Lewinsky.

The pitch of the song really does something for me when I'm pissed off, though. Pitch, hell--they're basically yelling. And yelling more or less in key. Dear to my heart are adolescent hell-raisers who rhyme the synonyms "hypocrite" and "full of shit." They're even metrically identical--Green Day is a pack of musical geniuses.

So. Just some advice, especially for my cranky friend D. F., who is especially cranky about Ted Kooser right now. Go download American Idiot. You'll love it.

No comments: