Wednesday, February 01, 2006

You'll find me sitting at the front of the bus (Pete Seeger)

It is hard to work in an office within the Department of Education and see the signs everywhere stating that the mission of the Department is to provide equal access to education for all Americans, when that is absolutely not what Robert is getting.

Or to walk through these red school house porticos they've constructed at all entrances to the main ED building (where I do not work, but must go occasionally), all of which bear the logo, No Child Left Behind. It just feels like a knife through my heart every time I walk in that building--but it was OK to leave my child behind (special ed students are not covered by NCLB--the school administrators lobbying groups made sure of that).

IEP meeting tomorrow. What fresh hell awaits us?

No comments: