Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Look, Dog, Look

Trying to focus on why I haven't been writing poems with much in the way of images in them. Are images what make a poem a poem? I think not, but perhaps it is a good question. Or do we rely too much on our visual sense when reading and writing poems? Which would, I guess, make reading poetry a lot like watching TV.

For the last several months, I haven't been writing poems that are image-driven. They're driven by sound, by rhythm, by attention, I suppose to the other senses. I have felt lately that going back to imagery might be good. Metaphor seems to come most easily with an image, for example. So I guess I'm considering the blunt necessity of the image, description.

I mean, when people talk about loving a poem, they often point to a visual image--i.e., that's what made me feel/see/think lovely thought X about Y. Is writing poetry that is imagery-based writing to audience expectations?

No comments: