Monday, November 14, 2005

Surrealism or immaturity, one of the two

I am driving into College Park. I am driving what was once my grandmother's car, a '98 Buick LeSabre (dark green), but has since become mine. This car has one main advantage: it is a much, much better vehicle than our '95 Chevy Cavalier. Stylish, however, it is not, unless you travel in the retirement age set. One of my friends refers to it as my pimp car.

I am listening to DC 101.1. They are playing Led Zeppelin's "Rock & Roll". For those of you who might dimly remember this song from your high school days, it is the one with the refrain that goes something like this: "been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time." The volume is turned up really, really loud. I am a white woman, closing in on 42, with a pony tail, glasses, and a very Bethesda black sweater on. I am singing along rather emphatically. At the stop light off the interstate ramp, people appear to be staring, or it may be my imagination. My car has handicapped plates on it, too. I may be pathetic, I'm not sure.

But one thing is for sure: nothing really gets you going for the day like a dose of adolescent male energy.

No comments: